As we noted yesterday, it took several weekends of mass shootings for Universal Pictures to yank ads for (but not postpone, or cancel) an R-rated ‘murder-porn’ movie in which elite liberals hunt Trump supporters for sport.
“Did anyone see what our ratf*****-in-chief just did?” asks one character early in the screenplay for The Hunt – set to open Sept. 27.
“At least The Hunt’s coming up. Nothing better than going out to the Manor and slaughtering a dozen deplorables,” is the reply.
But, after furious backlash in the last few days, that has changed as The Hill reports that Universal Pictures says it is canceling the release of “The Hunt” following intense criticism on both sides of the aisle about the upcoming film.
“While Universal Pictures had already paused the marketing campaign for ‘The Hunt,’ after thoughtful consideration, the studio has decided to cancel our plans to release the film,” a Universal Pictures spokesperson told The Hill in a statement.
“We stand by our filmmakers and will continue to distribute films in partnership with bold and visionary creators, like those associated with this satirical social thriller, but we understand that now is not the right time to release this film.”
This decision followed President Trump’s outburst against “racist” Hollywood on Friday, blaming popular culture for pushing “dangerous” movies.
“The movie coming out is made in order… to inflame and cause chaos. They create their own violence, and then try to blame others,” Trump tweeted Friday.
“They are the true Racists, and are very bad for our Country!”