Parents Who Refused to Take Sick 2-Year Old to Hospital Lost Custody of Their Children and Were Charged with Child Abuse

Chandler, AZ police break down door and wait outside of home for the parents, Youtube
  • Save
  • Save
Chandler, Arizona, police broke through the door of a family’s home late at night and handcuffed the father, as state’s Department of Child Safety took custody of the parents’ three children. The justification was that the mother had decided her toddler’s fever was not serious enough to merit a trip to the hospital. The doctor suspected that the child might have meningitis and instructed the pregnant woman to go to the hospital. She agreed, but then didn’t follow through. The doctor then called DCS which called the police to take action. The police say they had to break the door down following hours of negotiating. The parents say police pointed guns at them as they took custody of the three children. The police reported that two of the children had vomited in their beds and a shotgun lay next to the bed in the parents’ room. The parents were charged with child abuse.

Brooks Bryce and Sarah Beck have been charged with child abuse.

Chandler, AZ – An Arizona lawmaker is demanding a review of child protective services and police procedures, after officers forced entry into a couple’s home to rush their sick toddler to an emergency room (video below).

The 2-year-old boy’s parents, Sarah Beck and Brooks Bryce, ignored a doctor’s urgent recommendation to get the child to an emergency room to help combat his 105-degree fever, WTVR reported.

Representative Kelly Townsend said that the incident was “scary” and “frightening” – not because toddler’s parents refused to get him medical help, but because Chandler police ultimately broke down the front door of the home after three hours of negations with the parents failed.

“That was excessive,” Townsend said of the forced entry. “If you make the parental decision to wait ’til the morning to get medical care, you risk losing your child.”

The incident began on Feb. 25, when Beck took her 2-year-old son to the Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine in Tempe for multiple symptoms, which included a 105-degree fever, The Washington Post reported.

Concerned that the boy was suffering from a potentially life-threatening illness, the doctor urged Beck to get him to the emergency room so he could be tested using methods not available at the naturopathic clinic.

But Beck resisted, and said she was afraid she would be reported to the Arizona Department of Child Safety (DCS) because her son was not vaccinated.

The doctor confirmed with the emergency room that they would not make a report to DCS in such a situation, and Beck agreed to get her son help.

The doctor also asked the emergency room personnel to let her know when Beck arrived with the ill little boy, The Washington Post reported.

But Beck never showed up.

At about 6:30 p.m., Beck called the naturopathic clinic again, and said that her son started “acting normal” and was “dancing with his sisters in his car seat” after they left, so she decided not to go to the emergency room, The Washington Post reported.

She also claimed her son’s temperature had dropped, but the doctor still insisted that it was best to take the toddler to the emergency room.

Beck then asked the doctor if it would be okay to lie to the hospital personnel about her son’s vaccination status, and the doctor told her it would not.

She also warned Beck that she would have to report her to the DCS if she didn’t get help for the little boy soon.

The doctor attempted to follow up with Beck in the hours that followed, but she would not answer her phone.

After calling multiple hospitals as a last-ditch effort, the doctor placed a call to DCS.

At approximately 10:30 p.m., Chandler police were dispatched to the 1600-block of West Marlboro Drive at DCS’s request.

Read full article here…

Additional source:

Visit our Classified ads.

Check out our Classified ads at the bottom of this page.

Recent stories & commentary


For classified advertising rates and terms, click here. The appearance of ads on this site does not signify endorsement by the publisher. We do not attempt to verify the accuracy of statements made therein or vouch for the integrity of advertisers. However, we will investigate complaints from readers and remove any message we find to be misleading or that promotes anything fraudulent, illegal, or unethical.

Notify of
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
MJ Raichyk, PhD, mathematical decision analyst
MJ Raichyk, PhD, mathematical decision analyst
3 years ago

Don’t bother to think commenting on the linked article at ‘bluelivesmatter’ because [although they have more information, though not the latest] they require you to sign in and will mess with your commenting to ensure their ‘bluelivesmatter’ agenda is preserved.. total frauds as justice braggarts.. ttyl

Mr. Johnson
Mr. Johnson
3 years ago

As soon as the parent took the child to an ND, then she should have followed through on their recommendation. That being said, I know someone who went into a Phoenix hospital recently, and they were diagnosed with a migraine despite the fact that a daughter (who is a nurse) was telling them to check for meningitis. They didn’t test her for 3 days. They gave her something that she was allergic to and almost killed her before they diagnosed her with meningitis. So really, the Child Services and Police can do all they want to “try to help” but… Read more »