9/11 Fund to Cut Payments to Sick Survivors by at Least 50%

Wiki
image_pdfimage_print
The $7.4 billion fund created to aid people sickened by exposure to toxins at the sites of deadly attacks on the World Trade Center, after the EPA assured them it was safe, now has only $2.4 billion left to pay 19,000 claims.  In addition, thousands more are expected to file before the 2020 deadline. Close to 10,000 people in New York have been diagnosed with cancer linked to the attack. Payments to survivors who have already applied will be cut by 50%. For those who file after 2 February, checks will be slashed by 70%.

Sick first responders and survivors of the 9/11 terrorist attacks will see payments slashed dramatically as the fund to compensate them runs out of money, officials said Friday.

The fund was created to aid people sickened by exposure to toxins at the sites of deadly attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon in 2001, and the families of those who have died.

But the $7.4bn fund is running short on cash so it will cut future payments at least in half, its administrator announced Friday. Payments to survivors who have already applied will be cut by 50%. For those who file after 2 February, checks will be slashed by 70%.

“This is devastating,” said John Feal, a leading advocate for 9/11 responders. “For so many it’s a lifeline, and that lifeline has just been cut off.”

Thousands of people have fallen ill after breathing air thick with smoke from the collapse of the World Trade Center. Close to 10,000 people in New York have been diagnosed with cancer linked to the attack.

Congress voted in 2011 to open the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund for first responders and survivors sickened by the attack.

So far, it has awarded $5bn to more than 21,000 applicants, with an average award of about $240,000. That leaves only $2.4bn to pay another 19,000 claims already filed, plus thousands more expected before the fund closes at the end of 2020.

Read full article here…

Related Post

Visit our Classified ads.

Check out our Classified ads at the bottom of this page.

Recent stories & commentary

Classifieds

For classified advertising rates and terms, click here. The appearance of ads on this site does not signify endorsement by the publisher. We do not attempt to verify the accuracy of statements made therein or vouch for the integrity of advertisers. However, we will investigate complaints from readers and remove any message we find to be misleading or that promotes anything fraudulent, illegal, or unethical.

2
Leave a Reply

avatar
2 Comment threads
0 Thread replies
0 Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
2 Comment authors
Ed LaPinskasMJ Raichyk, PhD, mathematical decision analyst Recent comment authors
  Subscribe  
newest oldest most voted
Notify of
MJ Raichyk, PhD, mathematical decision analyst
Guest
MJ Raichyk, PhD, mathematical decision analyst

The victims’ lawyers should sue Larry Silverstein to get the rest of the couple billion needed. Silverstein’s buildings, acquired barely 3 months before 9-11 were full of asbestos and weren’t worth the price he paid, knowingly [as he’s not a neophyte in realestate] and then he more than doubled the insurance on those buildings and on top of that claimed the towers’ falling was from 2 separate incidents so he should collect twice…. over all he collected more than $4-BILLION so far.. Now as the Architects and Engineers’ case in criminal court to pursue justice for 9-11 gets traction, it… Read more »

Ed LaPinskas
Guest
Ed LaPinskas

It’s gonna happen in all Socialist programs here. Just a matter of time.