Lancet Study of Coronavirus Patients Shows that All Had Pneumonia, and that 2019-nCoV Is No More Dangerous than Pneumonia

The Lancet published a study about a pneumonia associated with 99 patients that had confirmed cases of 2019-nCoV in Wuhan Jinyintan Hospital from Jan 1 to Jan 20, 2020. At the end of the study, 31% of the patients had been discharged from the hospital, while 11 patients died, and the rest remained in the hospital. According to chest x-rays and CT scans, 75% of patients showed bilateral pneumonia, with the other 25% patients showing pneumonia in one lung. The study stated, “In general, the characteristics of patients who died were in line with the early warning model for predicting mortality in viral pneumonia in our previous study: the MuLBSTA score.” It appears that the new 2019-nCoV coronavirus is no more dangerous than common viral pneumonia that was found in each of the patients studied.