‘Coward of Broward’ Arrested: Former Sheriff’s Deputy Who Ran from School Shooting Faces 11 Charges


Former Broward County Sheriff’s Deputy Scot Peterson, the school security officer who refused to enter the building during the mass shooting last year, was arrested and charged by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) with 7 counts of neglect of a child, 3 counts of culpable negligence, and 1 count of perjury. He could face up to 97 years in state prison if convicted. According to the FDLE, Peterson refused to investigate the source of gunshots during the shooting and retreated while victims were being shot. Peterson also told law enforcement who had just arrived to remain 500 feet from the building. Peterson maintained that he was in compliance with the Broward Sheriff’s Office Active Shooter Policy.

Former Broward Sheriff’s deputy Scot Peterson, 56, has been arrested and charged over his failure to act during the Valentine’s Day mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School last year.

Peterson, who was the armed school resource officer at the time, faces seven counts of neglect of a child, three counts of culpable negligence and one count of perjury according
to a Tuesday statement by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. He
was booked into the Broward County main jail, and could face up to 97
years in state prison if convicted, according to the Sun-Sentinelwhich noted that his bond was reportedly set at $102,000. 

CCTV footage from the Parkland, FL shooting shows Peterson approach the high school building in a golf cart as gunman Nikolas Cruz massacred 17 students and staff members. Peterson then hopped off, unholstered his gun, and ran behind a concrete wall for cover. 

#BREAKING:
Broward County Sheriff’s Office releases security video showing Deputy
Scot Peterson’s actions during the February 14 shooting. pic.twitter.com/gs9kAbfgRq
— Ryan Saavedra (@RealSaavedra) March 15, 2018

“The FDLE investigation shows former Deputy Peterson did absolutely
nothing to mitigate the MSD shooting that killed 17 children, teachers
and staff and injured 17 others,” said FDLE Commissioner Rick
Swearington. “There can be no excuse for his complete inaction and no
question that his inaction cost lives.”

Broward County’s new Sheriff Gregory Tony added that Peterson’s actions warranted “termination of employment and criminal charges.

According to the FDLE, Peterson refused to investigate the source of gunshots during the shooting and retreated while victims were being shot. Peterson also told law enforcement who had just arrived to remain 500 feet from the building

Read full article here…




Jussie Smollett’s Court Records Made Public and the Chicago Police Department Is Suing Him


After all charges of staging a hate crime and lying to police were dropped against Jussie Smollett, a judge ordered the actor’s court case to be unsealed, and 2,000 pages of documents, including emails, text messages, police reports and court records, were released. Emails showed that Smollett tried to buy drugs from the Nigerian brothers who have confessed their role in the hate hoax crime. Smollett was sued by the Chicago police for $130,000, hoping to recoup overtime costs related to their weeks-long investigation. Smollett didn’t pay and with fines and penalties could now be on the hook for nearly $400,000.

The release of thousands of pages of court records in the Chicago case
complicate the embattled ‘Empire’ actor’s hopes to return to Hollywood.

Late last week, thousands of pages of documents in the Jussie
Smollett case, including emails, text messages, police reports and court
records, were released.

While their release has laid bare some of the inner workings of the
Chicago District Attorney’s office, including its fraught relationship
with the city’s police department, the documents have raised more
questions than they’ve answered about the spectacle surrounding the Empire actor.

As of early May, Empire writers were speaking openly about
the possibility of Smollett’s return to the show. And the actor appeared
eager to continue working after his arrest and the subsequent dropping
of charges, saying in a statement that he “appreciated” 20th Century
Fox’s decision to extend his contract and keep his character Jamal’s
future “open” for the upcoming sixth season.

Now that’s more in doubt than ever. While Smollett, through his
attorneys, has lauded the release of the entire investigative case file,
nothing in the documents would seem to improve Smollett’s chances of
rehabilitating his career in Hollywood or to repair his shattered public
image. Instead, the picture that emerges serves to reinforce
allegations of a man buying cocaine and ecstasy while plotting a fake
hate crime against himself.

A Chicago grand jury indicted Smollett in February with 16 felony
counts of disorderly conduct after a police investigation found that the
actor had lied about being the victim of a hate crime in January,
during which he claimed he was physically assaulted by two men wearing
MAGA hats who shouted racial and homophobic slurs, poured bleach on him
and hung a noose around his neck. A lengthy police investigation
concluded Smollett had paid the two brothers he sporadically employed as
his physical trainers, Abimbola and Olabinjo Osundairo, $3,500 to help
stage the attack because he was unhappy about his salary on Empire.

After the indictment, the DA’s office unexpectedly dropped all the
charges, infuriating Chicago Superintendent of Police Eddie T. Johnson
and Chicago Mayor Rahm Emmanuel, who denounced the DA’s decision,
calling it a “whitewash” of justice.

Whereas Smollett had garnered a loud and vocal base of support after
the initial charges against him were dropped, those voices had started
to dim even before the latest dumps, as the murkiness around his story
continued to deepen. The document release did little to revive what
support he did have. The writers on Empire have remained quiet.
A @standwithjussie handle and hashtag, which calls for fans to “sign
the petition to bring him back for the next season of empire” had just
seven followers, two likes and little-to-no momentum. Calls to Hilary
Rosen, who represents Smollett at the PR firm SKDKnickerborker, which
has been mounting a campaign to resuscitate the actor’s public image,
went unanswered, and the voicemail was full.

The first batch of documents, including the police case file, was
unsealed by a judge after FOIA requests by multiple media outlets,
including The Hollywood Reporter. The DA’s office released several hundred pages of text messages, emails and court documents.

Among other revelations, the documents provide new details about
Smollett’s attempts to procure drugs from Abimbola and Olabinjo
Osundairo, the two brothers who helped him stage and carry out the hoax
hate crime.

“N***a you still got a molly connect,” Smollett texted to one of the
brothers in September, a few months before the alleged hoax. “Hahahaha…
Imma need a good fo pills Haha.”

Police files indicate that Smollett paid the brothers repeatedly via
Venmo and Paypal for ecstasy, cocaine and marijuana in February, in the
days leading up to the staged attack.

They also reveal a more detailed portrait of the communications
between the three men to plan and carry out the hoax. Smollett asked the
brothers to meet “face to face” to discuss plans. Police records
indicate these details were “corroborated on video and by GPS data.”

Read full article here…




Mexico Says It Is Holding Back 250K Migrants in Response to Trump’s Tariff Threat


After President Trump threatened to raise tariffs on Mexico if it continues to allow mass migration into the US, Mexico’s top diplomats issued a veiled threat suggesting that without their efforts, 250,000 more Central American migrants could proceed north to the US border. In recent months, Mexican officials have provided buses and security for thousands of migrants moving to the US border with increasing efficiency. US Immigration authorities are expected to apprehend over 1 million migrants crossing the border by the end of 2019.

Mexico’s top diplomats issued a veiled threat to the U.S. government
suggesting that without their efforts, 250,000 more Central American
migrants could proceed north. The statement follows President Donald
Trump’s threat of raising a 5 percent tariff if Mexico does not
strengthen its borders.

On Monday evening, Mexico’s Foreign Relations Secretariat posted a statement claiming the country was effectively providing humanitarian visas to Central American migrants and strengthening immigration enforcement operations in southern Mexico.

“Without these important Mexican efforts in immigration matters, the U.S. would receive 250,000 additional migrants, only in 2019,” the prepared statement revealed. The veiled threat was buried at in the middle of a document where Mexican officials claimed to have deported more than 80,000 migrants and arrested 400 suspected smugglers in conjunction with U.S. officials.

Read full article here…




Former Trump Campaign Manager, Paul Manafort, to Be Moved to Riker’s Island Prison


New York: A judge ordered Trump’s former campaign manager, Paul Manafort, 70, to be transferred to Riker’s Island and placed in solitary confinement, as prosecutors plan to charge him with additional crimes. The purpose of torturing Manafort is to discourage anyone else from associating with Donald Trump. The New York State Legislature passed the “Manafort Law,” making double jeopardy legal, as the state appears to be planning to charge Manafort with the same crimes he was charged with under federal law.




House Democrats and the DOJ Announce an Anti-Trust Investigation into Big Tech


The Democrat-led House Judiciary Committee is planning a review of Facebook and Google to determine if the tech giants are stifling competition and harming consumers. Several days earlier, Trump’s Department of Justice announced it was preparing an antitrust probe against Google’s search engine and business model. [Facebook and Google are strong supporters of the Democrat Party’ agenda, so it is unrealistic to expect anything to come from their investigation except a slight slap on the wrist and a whitewash. The Department of Justice is no different except in rhetoric. We shall see.] –GEG

House Democrats are planning a review of Facebook and Google to
determine if the tech giants are stifling competition and harming
consumers, The Washington Post reported Monday.

The probe, which was announced
by Democratic Rep. David Cicilline of Rhode Island, is expected to be
far-reaching and comes as Democrats and Republicans are walloping
Silicon Valley. The investigation will not focus on any one company,
Cicilline told reporters.

“In
a lot of ways, there was a reluctance in the early days of the Internet
to interfere,” he said. “It was creating so much value in the lives of
people that [some felt] you should get out of the way and allow it to
flourish.” Amazon and Apple could potentially figure into the probe at
some point, Cicilline added.

Facebook, Amazon, and Apple did not respond to WaPo’s request for comment, and Google declined comment. (RELATED: Trump’s DOJ Prepares An Anti-Trust Investigation Into Google’s Business Practic: REPORT)

The investigation comes several days
after a Wall Street Journal report noted that the Department of Justice
is preparing an antitrust probe against Google’s search engine and
business model. It would be the first such investigation since the
Federal Trade Commission conducted a probe of Google but closed it in
2013 without taking action.

Read full article here…




Leaked Documents Show NSA Gave Israel Full Access to US Citizens’ Data in 2009


Leaked documents from Edward Snowden show that the NSA, frustrated by a legal ban on sharing intelligence with Israeli operatives who were conducting assassinations against Hezbollah, crafted a loophole to provide intel to Israel during its war with Lebanon in 2006. A memorandum from 2009 shows that Israelis received full access to the NSA’s massive surveillance data troves, including the phone and internet records of American citizens and citizens of third-party countries. American official made sure to exempt themselves from this massive invasion of privacy. -GEG

Frustrated by a legal ban on sharing intelligence with Israeli
operatives conducting targeted assassinations against Hezbollah, the NSA
crafted a loophole giving them total access even to US citizens’ data,
leaked documents show.

The Israeli SIGINT National Unit (ISNU), the NSA’s counterpart in Tel Aviv, convinced the Americans to circumvent the legal prohibition on providing surveillance data for targeted assassinations during Israel’s 2006 war with Lebanon, according to the newest revelation from the archives obtained by whistleblower Edward Snowden.

Using the familiar rationale of “terrorism” to excuse
cooperation they knew was illegal, the NSA and ISNU found a workaround
using the Office of the Director of National Intelligence that provided
the Israelis with all the intel they needed, according to an October
2006 article in the NSA’s internal publication.

To ISNU, this
prohibition [on sharing data for targeted killings] was contrary not
only to supporting Israel in its fight against Hizballah but overall, to
support the US Global War on Terrorism
,” said an article in SIDToday. 

Its author, whose name is redacted, details the “late-night, sometimes tense discussions” he had with ISNU officials who believed they deserved an exemption from the US prohibition on abetting targeted killings.

The documents don’t include details of what “arrangement” was eventually worked out with the ODNI, but the Israeli military used American data to lay waste to Lebanon’s civilian population, much like the tech-enhanced US troops in Afghanistan and Iraq, whose kill-counts swelled with civilian victims after they received access to NSA targeting data.

Israel repeatedly, and in some cases egregiously, violated the laws of war,” Human Rights Watch reporter Nadim Houry told the Intercept, adding that the Israelis “engaged in indiscriminate aerial attacks” and cluster bombing against “civilian infrastructure that was not tied in any way to the armed conflict.”

This ‘strategy‘ had a name – the “Dahiyeh doctrine” – and Israeli officials admitted it was deliberate, but despite this brutality, they were unable to win the war. A leaked presentation about the NSA-ISNU relationship notes that “public confidence in IDF erodes” and “IDF image damaged” after the seemingly-outmatched Hezbollah fighters were able to keep the Israelis at bay. Nevertheless, the IDF was, according to the presentation, “Gearing up for Round II.

Apparently unsatisfied with the legal loophole the Americans had created
for them, the Israelis sought and received full access to the NSA’s
massive surveillance data troves after the war. A 2009 memorandum
of understanding officially gave ISNU unrestricted access to the NSA’s
raw intelligence data – including the phone and internet records of
American citizens and citizens of third-party countries.

Read full article here…