20,000 Protesters in Tel Aviv Rally Against Netanyahu, Who Is Accused of Corruption

Israel: An estimated 20,000 people shouted “shame!” in protest against Prime Minister Netanyahu, who is accused of taking bribes from wealthy campaign contributors in exchange for political favors and for​ trying to block the investigation.  Members of Netanyahu’s Likud party introduced legislation that would ban police from sharing the conclusions of their investigations with those in political office. This would effectively nullify the investigations regardless of outcome. -GEG

About 20,000 Israelis took to the streets of Tel Aviv Saturday to protest the slow pace of investigation into government corruption charges against Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and dozens of members of his ruling party.

Since August, Netanyahu has been under investigation for allegedly taking bribes from wealthy campaign contributors in exchange for political favors. Netanyahu also faces charges of seeking to strike a deal with a major Israeli newspaper to garner more favorable coverage.

Saturday’s protest was a result of the Israeli parliament’s recent push for a new law that would ban police from publicizing the conclusions of their investigations into serving politicians. Protesters claimed that the legislation, introduced by members of Netanyahu’s Likud party, would effectively nullify the investigations into Netanyahu regardless of their outcome. Legislators said they were only looking to protect the rights of those accused.

“[Netanyahu] and his government are destroying the country. There’s been enough corruption,” Michal, a demonstrator and Tel Aviv resident who preferred not to give his full name, told The Guardian on Saturday.

Read full article here…




Former Democrat Congresswoman​,​ Corrine Brown​,​ Sentenced to 5 Years in Prison for Fraud

Former US Representative, Corrine Brown, was sentenced to five years in prison for mail, wire and tax fraud involving a sham charity.  The bogus charity, One Door For Education, collected donations to give scholarships to poor children but, instead, filled the coffers of Brown and her associates and used for lavish parties and vacations. -GEG​

Former Florida Democratic Rep. Corrine Brown was sentenced on Monday to five years in prison for mail, wire and tax fraud involving a sham charity.

A jury convicted Brown of stealing money from a bogus charity, One Door For Education, which purported to give scholarships to poor children but instead filled the coffers of Brown and her associates.

Federal prosecutors said she and a top aide committed fraud by using donations for lavish parties and trips.

The aide and another official later accepted a plea deal and testified against Brown, who served in Congress for nearly 25 years.

She was defeated in her 2016 primary race.

Earlier this year, One Door President Carla Wiley pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud after it was determined that she had deposited $800,000 into the foundation’s account over four years. Over that time, federal prosecutors say it gave one scholarship for $1,000 and that Wiley transferred herself tens of thousands of dollars.

Read full article here…




Mainstream Media Cover​s Sex Scandals of Republicans Twice as Much as ​of ​Democrat​s

The Media Research Center reports that ABC, CBS and NBC revealed bias in favor of Democrats this month by devoting much more time to reporting Republican sex scandals than Democrat sex scandals.  The ratio was nearly two to one. -GEG

ABC, CBS and NBC displayed their favorability toward Democrats this month by covering Republican sex scandals twice as often as Democratic sex scandals.

According to a study by the Media Research Center, the broadcast news networks spent a total of 6 hours and 40 minutes covering sexual harassment and assault scandals from Nov. 1 to Nov. 30. Nearly two-thirds of that coverage was spent on sex scandals involving Republicans.

The allegations of molestation against Roy Moore dominated ABC, CBS and NBC, with the networks giving the story 4 hours and 8 minutes of coverage. Meanwhile, the allegations of harassment and groping against Democratic Sen. Al Franken that broke a week later only got 1 hour and 14 minutes.

Democratic Rep. John Conyers, who is accused by several former staffers of harassment, received only 46 minutes of coverage in that same time period.

Read full article here…




​US Supreme Court Allows Trump Travel Ban While Cases Wind through ​Lower ​ Court​s​

The Supreme Court is allowing the Trump administration to enforce a ban on travel to the US by residents of six mostly Muslim countries – Chad, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Syria and Yemen – despite legal challenges in lower courts.  It is not clear what will happen when these cases clear the lower-courts. -GEG

President Donald Trump’s travel ban is once again to largely go back into effect after the Supreme Court of the United States stayed two lower courts’ injunctions Monday.

The orders come in response to filings by the Department of Justice Friday, asking the Supreme Court to stay the preliminary injunctions in the two main travel ban cases, Hawaii v. Trump in the Ninth Circuit and International Refugee Assistance Project v. Trump in the Fourth Circuit. These cases have been proceeding up and down the federal court system for months.

The district courts, especially that of Barack Obama-appointed District of Hawaii Judge Derrick Watson, have repeatedly ruled that the bans must be blocked from going into effect or must, in the interim, be interpreted in such a way as to have little effect on the list of mostly Muslim majority countries from which travel is prohibited under the orders.

The petitions in the two cases were made to Justice Anthony Kennedy and Chief Justice John Roberts respectively. Only Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Sonia Sotomayor declined to sign on to the orders staying the Fourth and Ninth Circuits.

“This a substantial victory for the safety and security of the American people,” Attorney General Jeff Sessions said in statement after the orders were announced.

He continued:

We are pleased to have defended this order and heartened that a clear majority Supreme Court has allowed the President’s lawful proclamation protecting our country’s national security to go into full effect.  The Constitution gives the President the responsibility and power to protect this country from all threats foreign and domestic, and this order remains vital to accomplishing those goals.

Read full article here…




Trump Returns 2 Million Acres of Land Under Federal Control to Utah

President Trump signed two executive orders to reduce the size of two ​national monuments in​ Utah.​  Bears Ears will be reduced ​by 85% and Grand Staircase-Escalante by almost half, removing federal restrictions against development of two million acres of land.  Trump’s announcement prompted cheers and a chant of “four more years!” from the crowd inside the Capitol building.  On the outside, demonstrators complained that it was a sell-out to industrial interests who want to destroy the land for profit. [In truth, industrial interests have been destroying the land for profit with the approval of federal agencies for many years. The notion that the federal government is a brake against exploitation of resources is absurd.]​ -GEG

President Donald Trump signed two executive orders Monday to reduce the size Utah’s Bears Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante national monuments.

Trump announced the orders during a speech in Salt Lake City, Utah. The cutbacks will shrink Bears Ears by roughly 85 percent and Grand Staircase-Escalante by nearly half, removing federal protections and restrictions on about two million acres of federal land, according to documents obtained by The Daily Caller News Foundation.

“You know the best how to take care of your land, you know how to protect it, and you know best how to conserve this land for many, many generations to come,” Trump said. “Your timeless bond with the outdoors should not be replaced with the whims of regulators thousands and thousands of miles away.”

The executive orders make up the largest reduction to national monuments in scale by a president in the history of the Antiquities Act, according to The New York Times

The 1.35 million acre Bears Ears National Monument, designated in Dec. 2016 by former President Barack Obama, will be reduced and broken up into two different areas. The areas, Indian Creek and Shash Jáa, will cover about 72,000 acres and 130,000 acres, respectively.

Bears Ears’ new boundaries release more than 90,000 acres of Utah state land that was previously locked inside the monument. About 6,000 acres of privately owned land was released, as well.

Former President Bill Clinton designated Grand Staircase-Escalante in 1996. At 1.9 million acres, the national monument encompassed an area about the size of Delaware.

Under Trump’s new executive order, Grand Staircase-Escalante will be broken up into three new monuments: the Grand Staircase unit, the Kaiparowits unit and the Escalante Canyons unit. Together, the three new national monuments will cover just over 1 million acres.

Trump’s announcement prompted cheers and a chant of “four more years!” from the crowd inside the Capitol building, however, environmentalists and other protesters outside called the decision a sellout to industry interests.

Read full article here…